It’s really hard to change things. How many of us have pledged to change something and then really struggled or decided that the effort is not worth the reward that the change may bring?
For example, are you a customer of a rubbish bank, utilities company or mobile phone provider, or in a job or a relationship that isn’t working, but you’re not changing because it feels safer or less hassle to stick with what you know?
Change feels scary, because any change involves stepping into something unknown. Doing something different, whether that’s starting something new or stopping doing something, comes with some degree of fear. We worry about the perceived negative impact of change. What if people treat me differently? What if the change isn’t worth the effort? What if I don’t fit in? Or the biggest question that runs through our mind in the middle of the night ‘What if I fail?’
But what if you don’t fail? What if you succeed and make the situation better – for you and for others?
Better the devil you know than the devil you don’t
There is an expression ‘better the devil you know than the devil you don’t’. It means that it is better to stick with someone or something you are familiar with and know, even if they are not ideal, than take a risk with an unknown person or thing.
I hate that expression. How can it be better to put up with the devil you know and the status quo than to attempt to change something to make it better?
In addition we’re kidding ourselves if we believe that staying the same is safer than changing when the world that we live in is changing fast. New technology will make what we do today obsolete in a few years time – or less.
If we decide to stick with the devil we know, settle for what we’ve always done because it feels safer than changing, I believe we will fail. If we don’t strive for what we want, how will we feel when we look back 6 months from now, or 5 years or even longer?
Don’t you deserve more than that? Can you afford not to take that risk? Is it time to ditch the devil you know?
Introducing the Lucidity Accelerator Programme
Are you feeling stuck but not sure where to start to make the changes required to get you to where you want to be? Are you afraid that what you want is unachievable or will fail? Are you choosing to stick with the devil you know than go and get what you want from your working life?
It can be overwhelming and it’s hard to know where to start and what to prioritise.
That’s why for the last couple of years I’ve joined forces with Juliet Corbett, strategy expert, and together we’ve developed the Lucidity Accelerator Programme. In 6 months, we’ll help you focus on where you’re putting your time, and your energy to help you go from exhausted and overwhelmed, to optimistic, focused and confident.
The Lucidity Accelerator Programme is a six-month transformational group coaching programme designed for managers and leaders like you who are ready for the next stage of their professional career but feel stuck as they are moving up. Here’s what you get when you join the Lucidity Accelerator Programme;
- An initial one-to-one call with Juliet to work through your personal roadmap, clarify your goals and help you take your initial steps towards success.
- Six two-hour facilitated online group sessions with Juliet Corbett – the programme facilitator to accelerate your progress in the right direction.
- A 1:1 with Lucy Gower halfway through your programme to check in on your progress and help you to remain focused and keep momentum.
- A final 1:1 with Juliet to ensure you leave the programme with clear success outcomes and next steps once the programme ends.
- Spotlight opportunities in every single group session to share your challenges, opportunities and progress as well as receive personalised advice and guidance specific to your situation.
- Accountability for taking action on the goals you set yourself.
- Exclusive Lucidity Accelerator workbook for logging goals and taking notes.
The next Lucidity Accelerator programme starts in January 2022. We’re looking for people who are committed to making progress in their working life to join a group. If you’re serious about investing in your own development and would like to be the first to know when the next Lucidity Accelerator Programme is taking applications email me at email@example.com with the title ‘2022 Lucidity Accelerator Programme’.